Usually our posts are about our beautiful kids and the fun things we do. However, I just wanted to take a brief editorial moment to discuss something that I think is very interesting and important. Those of us that have been born in the USA often take for granted how many languages there are in the world. Moreover, we don't realize how many of those language are dying out. It is estimated that 1 language is dying out every 14 days. Why is this important? Well we lose information about cultures, beliefs, linguistics, and many more concepts when a language dies out. Below is a short video of K. David Harrison, Director of Research at the Living Tongues Institute, on the Colbert Report.
This is a great precursor to the upcoming movie The Linguists which is an Official Selection of the Sundance Film Festival. I am very excited about this movie. I recommend that everyone check it out if they get a chance.
This is the end of my brief editorial comment.
(Correction: The film was an Official Selection of the last Sundance Film Festival. However, it is still being shown at festivals around the world.)
1 comment:
Hey Marc! This comment is actually for Jenni who recently posted on my blog, just wanted to say thank you for the congratulations and I hope my kids are as cute as yours!
Post a Comment