Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Congressional Raise

For those of you that are friends with me (this is Marc by the way) on facebook you have probably already received an invitation from me for the group I created but I felt this was important enough to mention it on our blog. Every year the United States Congress gets the chance to vote on their own pay raise. First of all, this seems completely wrong to me. There are very few positions where you get to decide on your own pay raise but that is the way it is and changing this is a topic for another day. For 2009 congress has decided 2.8% pay raise is appropriate. That is on average $4,700 per congressman. Now I don't know about you but in our current economic situation where money is tight and every industry seems to be asking for a bailout it seems odd that our senators should receive a pay raise. Especially such a substantial pay raise.

I encourage you to write your representatives and ask them to stop the madness. Not all representatives support the pay raise. If you would like to sign a petition you can go to http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-congressional-pay-raise-for-2009.html.

I am now officially done with my rant.

No comments: